QuickReads to be Re-released!
QuickReads has undergone an update and will be re-released this summer (mid to late July). Not only will some of the texts be updated, the entire student book will be printed in color.
Pearson, the publisher of QuickReads, are taking pre-orders for the new edition of QuickReads. For pricing information and more details about the update please visit www.pearsonschool.com/quickreads.
There is also a promotion going on until 9/30/2011.
- 10% off all Classroom Packages (Promo CRP10 must be on PO)!
- 20% off all Intervention Kits (Promo ITK20 must be on PO)!
Posted 05/23/2011, Updated 05/24/2011
QuickReads: Word Pictures™ Update
Two new QuickReads: Word Pictures™ are now available. Click here!
Posted 11/24/2010, Updated 03/10/2011
QuickReads: Word Pictures Prototype
We are excited to share with you a new QuickReads prototype!
Click here for more information about QuickReads: Word Pictures.
Posted 09/20/2010, Updated 09/20/2010
QuickReads are exactly that-short texts to be read quickly and with meaning. The QuickReads program consists of six levels: A, B, C, D, E, and F. Each level contains three books, and each book contains 30 texts (90 texts per level). These texts support automaticity with the high-frequency words and phonics/syllabic patterns needed to be a successful reader at a particular grade level. Additionally, with topics in two subject areas: social studies and science, texts in the QuickReads program encourage meaning and comprehension. Book 1 includes texts on Civics, and Life Science. Book 2 includes texts on Economics, Geography, and Earth Science. Book 3 includes texts on History, and Physical Science.
|QuickReads Level||Grade-level curriculum||High-frequency words||Phonics and syllable patterns|
|Level A||Early Grade 2||300 most frequent words||All long and short vowel patterns in single-syllable words|
|Level B||Grade 2||400 most frequent words||All long and short vowel patterns, and r-controlled vowells in single-syllable words|
|Level C||Grade 3||1,000 most frequent words||All vowel patterns in single-syllable words|
|Level D||Grade 4||1,000 most frequent words||Two-syllable words|
|Level E||Grade 5||2,500 most frequent words||Mutli-syllable words with inflected endings|
|Level F||Grade 6||5,000 most frequent words||Mutli-syllable words with inflected endings|
The QuickReads program is a creative and innovative application of recent research on the nature of texts used to teach reading. QuickReads texts support automatic, meaningful grade-level reading.
QuickReads texts are written at the independent level for a grade. That means that 98% or more of the words in a text fit the grade-level curriculum. Compare this to current textbook or intervention programs where 10-15% of the words often fall outside the grade-level curriculum.
QuickReads texts are at a length that a grade-level reader should be able to read—when reading fluently—in one minute.
|QuickReads Level||Grade-level curriculum||Target number of words per minute|
|Book 1||Book 2||Book 3|
|Level A||Early Grade 2||80 words||90 words||100 words|
|Level B||Grade 2||90 words||100 words||110 words|
|Level C||Grade 3||100 words||110 words||120 words|
|Level D||Grade 4||110 words||120 words||130 words|
|Level E||Grade 5||120 words||130 words||140 words|
|Level F||Grade 6||130 words||140 words||150 words|
- Students of ALL reading abilities read more quickly and retain what they read
- Students are equipped for ongoing success on the Reading First proficiencies of fluency, comprehension, and vocabulary
- Curriculum-embedded non-fiction texts in science and social studies are interesting and fun for students
- Instructional guidance and assessments are easy and flexible for teachers and tutors
- Design of texts and instruction is based on research and their effectiveness is validated by research
- Careful balance of familiar and new words promote fluency
- Interesting content and connections across texts promote comprehension
- Grade-level appropriate texts focusing on key concepts promote vocabulary
- High-frequency words make up 98% of the texts
- Hard words are repeated so students can develop meaning and word recognition strategies for hard words
- Text length corresponds to grade-level reading rate for 1 minute
- Texts are thematically grouped
Posted 10/09/2006, Last Modified 12/18/2006